Re: Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:44:22 -0700 (PDT)

:Yeah, I was actually thinking more along the lines of 'screen' when I
:trailed off - but I haven't played with it much.  Consider: split the
:terminal into two panes, one 24 or so lines, and the other a 1-line
:"status bar".  The program running in the status bar pane would display
:some pertinent information, say, date/time, how much new mail you have,
:disk free space, mbmon stats, whatever.  (One thing I always wanted was
:a progress bar for long 'make' jobs...)
:
:That status bar program could poll other programs and reformat their
:output to produce its display - but polling is just damned inelegant.
:It would be so much nicer for it to be event-oriented somehow - to
:receive messages whenever state that it's interested in changes.
:
:Anyway, at this point I'm just rambling.
:
:-Chris

    A status bar was a really cool feature of many of the old serial-based
    terminals.  You could set your prompt to include an escape sequence that
    updated the status bar.

    xterm's don't have status bars, at least I don't think they do.  But they
    do have title bars and it should be possible to change the title bar on
    the fly by messing with X resources.  I've never bothered to try, though.

    There is also 'xbiff'.