Re: Anyone protecting the stack?

From: David Rhodus <drhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:37:20 -0400

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 07:31 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

Hi;

I posted this to freebsd-hackers and everyone seemed to agree it was
extremely interesting and that it had to be done, but AFAICT no one is
doing the tough work. JIC anyone here is interested I repost the link to
NetBSD's commit log:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2003/08/24/0027.html

I've very skeptical that adding this hack in. Right now the target platform
for DragonFly is ia32 and this does not have a pte or exec bit on the processor.
For this reason the code implementation to make this work is a major hack.
Which I think would bit at our heals for as long as we run it in the tree. This is
one that I don't think anyone should consider trying put in for a very long time.
This is something that really would slow down the progression of the project
because of how much it would break. First work quanta's should be focused on
task items that are a lot more productive in meeting some already defined goals.
Any then everyone will better understand that is something that should not be considered.

-DR