Re: Anyone protecting the stack?

To: Pedro Giffuni <giffunip@xxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:27:01 +0100

Pedro Giffuni wrote:

: I posted this to freebsd-hackers and everyone seemed to agree it was
: extremely interesting and that it had to be done, but AFAICT no one is
: doing the tough work. JIC anyone here is interested I repost the link to
: NetBSD's commit log:
:
: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2003/08/24/0027.html
:

	Hmm, is this just the pmap mappings that are made non executable
	if supported by hardware?  Well, aside from the pmap parts, I am
	not sure we really want this...

	... I am understanding right and per the research I have done
	previously on non-exec stacks, it seems JIT compilers and the
	new Perl interpreter do not support this, although, I maybe a
	little outdated on this information.

	If it can be done without harming any functionality, it will be
	great!

Regards,

--
Hiten Pandya