Re: geom, devfs

To: ibotty <bsd@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Elischer <julian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:18:10 -0700

freebsd4.x has a devfs that was moved out of the way for the new one..
I think it still works enough to work on DF. (I also think it's better.)

also in /dev/slice you will find old code for a geom-like framework (it's in the attic)

ibotty wrote:
hi matt and all,

do you/we plan to port geom[1] (or a similar) framework to DragonFly?
i came across this, when i thought about geom-gate, which looks very
interesting.

imho, geom is a nice abstraction, so is something similar intended for
DragonFly?

... and what about devfs? i like the concept of having only these device
nods, that need to be there. (do we really need mknod?, the kernel should
know better, what he supports).
i guess, this will have to wait till matt completes his vfs overhaul.

just some minor questions ;)

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/Geom/

cheers,
~ibotty