Re: Prebinding for DragonFly/FreeBSD-4

From: David Rhodus <drhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:00:52 -0400

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 01:33 PM, Matthew Dillon wrote:
I am going to attempt to install KDE on one of my test boxes. If we can
show a user-visible improvement in startup times then that is good
enough for me. The code looks fairly safe to me (with the additional
trust checks I posted earlier).

I suspect that Linux has higher general shared library overheads then we
do, making prebinding more of a benefit to them.

I haven't had any free time to look at the Prebinding code yet. I take it that
it won't be the default option or at minimal an easy way to opt out of using
it ? From the FreeBSD impalemention I think some of what it is doing, is potentially
untouched area's for hijacking. I'll try to mark some time off tomorrow so I can look
a little further.

-DR