Re: cache_lookup() work this week.

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:19:49 -0400

At 1:21 PM -0500 9/8/03, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003, drhodus wrote:

 > With a GPL'd filesystem you couldn't have that as the
 > default FS for the system.

Why not? I don't understand, because GCC, GDB, diff and lot
of GPL stuff are in the system by default.

However, they are not linked into the kernel by default, thus they do not force the kernel to be GPL'ed. And you can't just say "well, the BSD license is as good as a GPL, so we can stick with a BSD license". The kernel would have to explicitly be GPL. That is the way the GPL license is written, we don't have much room to debate about it.

Also, the system does not need those pieces just to start up.
The default-filesystem would pretty much have to be linked
into the kernel, or else you get into a bootstrapping problem
at initial system startup.

It would be great to have support for these other file systems,
but I think DragonFly has to stick with a BSD-licensed fs for
the default file system.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@xxxxxxxxxxx