Re: sysinstall v2

From: David Rhodus <drhodus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:13:38 -0400

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 07:01 PM, Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Perhaps a reason to look at switching to cvsync  ?
:
:-DR

rsync has an excellent track record and is tiny, with no dependancies.
We should definitely include it.
I take it your talking about adding that to the cvs tree ex src/usr.sbin/rsync ?

cvsync has problems similar to cvsup, though not quite as bad. If we
installed a static version it would probably be ok. I don't know if
cvsync handles all the cases (like tag updates, repository forks, and
local forks) that cvsup handles. Without knowing how robust it is I
would hesitate to include it

I was mainly talking about cvsync because it can be made to compile straight
without dependencies. As for the cases it handles is something different, I
think an actual switch is a slight change in the handling of the source for the
project. Though perhaps something that should be explored a little more ?
As myself and many, many other would love to have cvsup like capabilities
by default....

-DR