Re: new sysinstall

From: ibotty <me@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:36:14 +0200

>>       the CDRom to the hard drive and reboots.  Stage 2 is responsible
>>       for
>>       the more sophisticated aspects of the installation.  Both stages
>>       will use the same scripts, languages, & utilities and such to do
>>       their work since both the CDRom boot and the HD boot will have a
>>       full environment to play in.
>
> Why the reboot onto the disk image at this point?  What purpose does it
> serve?  To check if you can boot?  And the point is?  To add swap space?

Matt has already expressed his feelings about it.
at the beginning of this thread, he said, that he had made too many
installs, that went wrong, after he selected ports to install.
it went wrong, so that he had to start all over again.
it failed due to a reason, that would hit our install at stage1.

not having to start again was his reason to split 1 and 2. (as far as i
understood)

> but if it requires a
> reboot after stage 1, it defeats the purpose...  As then I have to go
> fiddle with the bios 3 times for each machine in order to get a lab full
> of computers up.
>
> 1) Enable CD-ROM & CD-ROM boot
> 2) Boot CD-ROM
> 3) Disable CD-ROM boot
> 4) Boot disk/install
> 5) Disable CD-ROM

Most times, you will not need to en- and disable the cdrom.
plus on many systems (most desktops) you will not need 1) and 3).

additionally, when you set up many computers, you will want to install from
an nfs mount or such. so you can do 3) and 5) at the same time.

~ibotty