Re: new sysinstall

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:45:34 -0700 (PDT)

:I'm seeing this as a four stage system.
:
:1. Disk Editor (creates slices, and partitions)
:2. Distribution Selection
:3. Glorified FTP client
:4. Configuration Management System
:
:Basically we would take a bootable cd, with a fully operable dragonfly
:installation on it. fire off the disk editor, to create swap, and
:other partitions and slices. Figure out what we are supposed to install.
:Then either contact a ftp site with a distro on it, or fire up a local
:ftpd server, and download the distribution on to our new slices.
:The configuration Management system is the key to the whole thing.
:I will try to get my thoughts on it written down in a understandable
:fashion later this week.
:
:Robert Garrett

    I would like a two-stage process, where everything you list is in the
    second stage.  The biggest problem with any install occurs when you go
    through all the work of installing the system onto your disks, reboot,
    and... nothing happens.  The system doesn't boot or doesn't mount,
    which means you have to go through the entire process all over again.

    So the first thing I think an install should do is create a basic
    slice and partition for /, swap, and /usr, copy the CD into it, and
    reboot.  And the very first option should be, with appropriate sanity
    checks, a 'just do it and reboot' option.

	1. Shell prompt

	2. Reformat HD, install basic templates, and reboot before completing
	   the procedure.

	3. Scan network for templates, install or query for selection,
	   and reboot before completing the procedure.

    Once rebooted into the HD we can then proceed to do all the time-consuming
    installation without worrying about having to start over from scratch.