Re: COMPAT_43 and the linuxolator

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

    We definitely can't rename COMPAT_43 to COMPAT_LINUX for the
    remaining functions.  Could you post an example of the problem
    area?  It seems it ought to be possible to convert the linux code
    to use the newer syscalls.

:I've hit a problem with tearing out COMPAT_43.  Our linux emulation code
:relies heavily on the old sockaddr sruct.  I think I have two options:
:
:   1) Replace COMPAT_43 #ifdef's with COMPAT_LINUX #ifdef's.  This would
:      allow the linux emulator to work, however it pollutes the kernel
:      source.
:
:   2) Copy our socket functions into the linux emulation code preserving
:      the COMPAT_43 code.  In this case the native and linux versions only
:      differ by a couple of lines of code.  This would however put the
:      compatibility garbage in the linux emulation code where it probably
:      belongs.
:
:It would be great if I could modify a sockaddr struct after something like
:an ioctl or a call to accept, however the copyout takes place in the
:function call.
:
:--
:   David P. Reese, Jr.                                     daver@xxxxxxxxxxxx