Preliminary restructuring layout (was Re: sys/ tree re-structuring proposal)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:32:05 -0700 (PDT)

    I've been messing around with a copy of the cvs tree and this is what
    I have so far.

    I gave up trying to split things up by bus (isa, pci, etc..) because
    there are a lot more multi-bus drivers then I thought there were.  So
    instead I am splitting things up by function.  This seems to give us a
    nice layout.

    Most of the work is obvious but also note that I've moved all the
    high level interfaces which 'attach' and 'detach' things into the bus/
    directory.  So, for example, cam, usb, and firewire are in bus/, but
    drivers that run under them or through them will be placed in dev/.
    Generic tie-ins, such as a firewire or usb storage device tying into CAM,
    is handled directly by the firewire bus code (just like now).

    Also note that architecture-specific drivers will be in subdirectories
    under dev/<function>, the idea being that there isn't a whole lot of it
    and it's better to keep things grouped by function so all of our ethernet
    drivers (for example) are in dev/netif.

    modules/ will be removed entirely and its Makefile's will be integrated
    into the appropriate drivers.  Having a separate modules/ directory
    hierarchy was a terrible idea and we are well rid of it.

					-Matt

.
. /boot (unchanged)
. /vfs			VFS layer devices like filesytems
. /vfs/hpfs
. /vfs/smbfs
. /vfs/isofs
. /vfs/isofs/cd9660
. /vfs/mfs
. /vfs/msdosfs
. /vfs/nfs
. /vfs/ntfs
. /vfs/nwfs
. /vfs/ufs
. /vfs/coda
. /vfs/gnu
. /vfs/gnu/ext2fs
. /vfs/deadfs
. /vfs/fdesc
. /vfs/fifofs
. /vfs/nullfs
. /vfs/portal
. /vfs/procfs
. /vfs/specfs
. /vfs/umapfs
. /vfs/union
. /bus			System Busses and multi-function controllers
. /bus/cam
. /bus/smbus
. /bus/iicbus
. /bus/eisa
. /bus/usb
. /bus/mca
. /bus/pccard
. /bus/isa
. /bus/pci
. /bus/ppbus
. /bus/firewire		like CAM and USB, attach/detach makes this more a bus
. /compile
. /conf
. /contrib		(TBD)
. /contrib/dev
. /contrib/dev/fla
. /contrib/dev/fla/i386
. /contrib/dev/oltr
. /contrib/ipfilter
. /contrib/ipfilter/netinet
. /crypto
. /crypto/blowfish
. /crypto/blowfish/arch
. /crypto/blowfish/arch/i386
. /crypto/cast128
. /crypto/des
. /crypto/des/arch
. /crypto/des/arch/i386
. /crypto/rc4
. /crypto/rijndael
. /crypto/sha2
. /ddb
. /dev
. /dev/misc			Misc devices that don't fit in any other cat.
. /dev/misc/joy
. /dev/misc/ppi
. /dev/misc/orm
. /dev/misc/ppc
. /dev/misc/pps
. /dev/misc/psm
. /dev/misc/atkbdc_layer
. /dev/misc/atkbd
. /dev/misc/lpt
. /dev/misc/xrpu
. /dev/misc/lpbb
. /dev/misc/pcfclock
. /dev/misc/dec
. /dev/misc/kbd
. /dev/misc/musycc
. /dev/misc/nmdm
. /dev/misc/pccard
. /dev/misc/pccard/pccbb
. /dev/misc/pcic
. /dev/misc/pst
. /dev/misc/puc
. /dev/misc/snp
. /dev/misc/streams
. /dev/misc/syscons
. /dev/serial			Serial devices
. /dev/serial/cy
. /dev/serial/sio
. /dev/serial/dgb
. /dev/serial/ic_layer
. /dev/serial/rp
. /dev/serial/si
. /dev/agp
. /dev/drm
. /dev/smbusif			SMBus devices are special cased
. /dev/smbusif/bktr
. /dev/smbusif/alpm
. /dev/smbusif/viapm
. /dev/smbusif/amdpm
. /dev/smbusif/intpm
. /dev/smbusif/ichsmb
. /dev/sound			Sound devices
. /dev/sound/isa
. /dev/sound/pci
. /dev/sound/pci/gnu
. /dev/sound/pcm
. /dev/sound/usb
. /dev/raid			Raid controllers
. /dev/raid/aac
. /dev/raid/vinum
. /dev/raid/ida
. /dev/raid/mlx
. /dev/raid/amr
. /dev/raid/twe
. /dev/raid/asr
. /dev/raid/iir
. /dev/raid/mly
. /dev/raid/ciss
. /dev/raid/dpt
. /dev/video			Video related (special case)
. /dev/video/fb
. /dev/video/gfb
. /dev/video/tga
. /dev/disk			Normal disk controllers (incls scsi)
. /dev/disk/ata
. /dev/disk/aha
. /dev/disk/ahb
. /dev/disk/aic
. /dev/disk/aic7xxx
. /dev/disk/aic7xxx/aicasm
. /dev/disk/ncv
. /dev/disk/nsp
. /dev/disk/stg
. /dev/disk/vn
. /dev/disk/md
. /dev/disk/ccd
. /dev/disk/trm
. /dev/disk/isp
. /dev/disk/ispfw
. /dev/disk/sym
. /dev/disk/fd
. /dev/disk/amd
. /dev/disk/ncr
. /dev/disk/simos
. /dev/disk/buslogic
. /dev/disk/ct
. /dev/disk/advansys
. /dev/disk/i386
. /dev/disk/i386/bs
. /dev/disk/ic_layer
. /dev/disk/mpt
. /dev/disk/mpt/mpilib
. /dev/disk/vpo
. /dev/netif			Network Interfaces
. /dev/netif/ic_layer
. /dev/netif/plip
. /dev/netif/de
. /dev/netif/fea
. /dev/netif/fpa
. /dev/netif/ic
. /dev/netif/sn
. /dev/netif/snc
. /dev/netif/cue
. /dev/netif/dc
. /dev/netif/fwe
. /dev/netif/kue
. /dev/netif/lnc_p
. /dev/netif/mn
. /dev/netif/pcn
. /dev/netif/ppp
. /dev/netif/aue
. /dev/netif/awi
. /dev/netif/ie
. /dev/netif/wi
. /dev/netif/xe
. /dev/netif/ray
. /dev/netif/ar
. /dev/netif/cm
. /dev/netif/cs
. /dev/netif/ed
. /dev/netif/ep
. /dev/netif/ex
. /dev/netif/fe
. /dev/netif/sbni
. /dev/netif/sbsh
. /dev/netif/sr
. /dev/netif/an
. /dev/netif/bge
. /dev/netif/em
. /dev/netif/fxp
. /dev/netif/gx
. /dev/netif/lge
. /dev/netif/my
. /dev/netif/nge
. /dev/netif/tx
. /dev/netif/txp
. /dev/netif/vx
. /dev/netif/rl
. /dev/netif/mii_layer
. /dev/netif/pdq_layer
. /dev/netif/sf
. /dev/netif/sis
. /dev/netif/sk
. /dev/netif/ste
. /dev/netif/ti
. /dev/netif/tl
. /dev/netif/vr
. /dev/netif/wb
. /dev/netif/wx
. /dev/netif/xl
. /dev/atm			ATM devices
. /dev/atm/en
. /dev/atm/hfa
. /dev/atm/hea
. /dev/crypto			Crypto related
. /dev/crypto/hifn
. /dev/crypto/ubsec
. /dev/crypto/rndtest
. /emulation			Syscall/environment emulation (for now)
. /emulation/svr4
. /emulation/svr4/i386
. /emulation/i4b
. /emulation/i4b/capi
. /emulation/i4b/capi/iavc
. /emulation/i4b/driver
. /emulation/i4b/include
. /emulation/i4b/layer1
. /emulation/i4b/layer1/ifpi
. /emulation/i4b/layer1/ifpi2
. /emulation/i4b/layer1/ifpnp
. /emulation/i4b/layer1/ihfc
. /emulation/i4b/layer1/isic
. /emulation/i4b/layer1/itjc
. /emulation/i4b/layer1/iwic
. /emulation/i4b/layer2
. /emulation/i4b/layer3
. /emulation/i4b/layer4
. /emulation/posix4
. /emulation/linux
. /emulation/linux/i386
. /emulation/linux/i386/linprocfs
. /emulation/ibcs2
. /emulation/ibcs2/i386
. /netproto			Network protocols (move ip and tcp here?)
. /netproto/smb
. /netproto/ipx
. /netproto/ipsec
. /netproto/ns