Re: High Performance File Systems

From: Chip Norkus <wd@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:48:28 -0500

On Monday 04 August 2003 08:42 pm, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> One thing BSD is lacking is the support of other higher-end file
> sytems... like XFS, JFS, Veritas, ReiserFS.

What about HPFS? *grin*

As far as the journaling filesystems, UFS + Softupdates yield (from my
experience anyways) performance at least as good as Linux filesystems.  I
think part of the problem with these other filesystems (excluding maybe
Veritas) is that they are GPL tainted[1], and so they'd either have to be
explicitly user-installed or new fs systems which are BSD licensed would
have to be written which were compatible with them.

> Will DragonFly BSD be working to port or otherwise incorporate a
> high-performance file system?  This would be imperative in a
> high-availability clustering solution.    I doubt, however, that
> Veritas will port VxFS to FreeBSD; I think the Linux port alone was to
> ride out the market wave.  I could be wrong.

You are probably correct as far as veritas goes.  What are the merits of
their filesystem?  Is it as cumbersome as their other software? ;)

[1]: Meaning no particular disrespect to the GPL, only that importing GPL
code forces the GPL on other parts of the system because of the GPL's
viral nature.

> Thanks,
> Forrest

-wd