Re: dynamic /bin /sbin

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:42:15 +0200

-On [20030725 20:33], Garance A Drosihn (drosih@xxxxxxx) wrote:
>I believe that freebsd-current is going to dynamic versions
>mainly so some dynamically-loaded options (such as pam) could
>be made to work correctly.

Mmm, in light of some people's dislike of PAM on the lists here (I am
neither in favour nor against PAM) what would any other reasons be?

It seems kind of awkward to go to a certain solution to fix a problem in
another part of the system.  But hey, I am sure the guys who work on
that know what they are talking about, so my ideas on that are those of
one who hasn't messed with it.

So, anyone who can substantiate why going from static to dynamic is such
an enormous gain?  (Apart from the PAM issues of course, thanks for
pointing that out Garance.)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B