HEADS UP! RCNG in the tree...

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:35:54 -0700 (PDT)

    Robert Garrett has done an excellent job porting over the the RCNG stuff.
    I spent some time doing a bit of additional work to smooth out the
    wrinkles and committed it.

    I also brought in the 5.x mergemaster, because it will clean up the
    old rc files for you (amoung other things), and tried to synch up
    the mtree config files and so forth.

    If you want to update your system to run RCNG, so you can report the
    bugs to us, you need to do the following:

	cvsup/update your source tree.  If cvsup'ing the cvs tree remember
	to cvs update your source tree afterwords.

	cd /usr/src/sbin/rcorder; make; make install
	cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster; make; make install

	mergemaster

    I'm sure things will come up but I was quite surprised how smooth it
    went when I initially tried booting with it.  My mistake was to forget
    to install 'rcorder', and of course RCNG won't work at all without it!

    Also note the following changes in the RC defaults:

	sendmail is not enabled by default
	inetd is not enabled by default
	named runs as user bind and group bind by default, if enabled