Re: Userland

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:15:09 -0700 (PDT)

:Pardon for posting it in the wrong forum, but this was the best I could
:locate thus far.
:
:Matt, have you given any thought about things outside of the kernel?
:Things like libc, new resolver library routines, reentrancy and the
:like.  Not to mention documentation and the likes.
:
:Because those are areas I have a keen interest in and would love to help
:out with.
:
:--
:Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai

    The main push outside the kernel in the near future is going to be
    with syscall messaging, the emulation layer, and userland threading.
    I will also accept userland infrastructure work, like RCNG, and fixes
    to base utilities.

    A major goal of the project is put all base system utilities under
    a single unified packaging system along with third party apps.  The
    package system goals require major kernel support for userland VFS
    'environments' which will be used to detect and generate dependancies
    automatically and to map library versions and supporting directories
    (or at least generate such maps for in-kernel support to deal with).

    Once that is done it will be possible to do full custom installs of
    a system, where you would be able to specify exactly which utilities
    you want installed and from what source.

    But, as I said, getting to this goal is going to take a long time.  We
    are talking 6-12 months (and probably closer to 12).  It would be
    premature to attempt to rip out things like BIND now.

    Once we are there, though, watch out!