Re: Userland

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:13:47 -0700 (PDT)

:Matt,
:
:    There are several nice features, in -currents
:userland. Are you interested in seeing them moved to
:dragonfly? Some things like the compiler upgrades
:should wait. others like rcng might be nice.
:
:your thoughts..
:
:Robert Garrett

    (cc'ing to lists.dragonflybsd.org)

    Generally speaking I think synchronizing interesting userland features
    in current to DragonFly is a good idea.  Since we don't have any users
    (or shouldn't have any users), a little destabilization of the userland
    here and there isn't going to hurt, and in fact doing it now would be
    advantageous.  I would still like to approve them on a case by case
    basis.

    RCNg is a good candidate.  Are you volunteering? :-)

    The kernel is a different story of course, and as you surmise the
    stability of the compiler toolchain must be considered critical for kernel
    work so I don't think we should even consider upgrading it (the compiler)
    for a good 6-12 months.  This may actually be better for us because
    it gives the GCC folks more time to stabilize their new compiler.  We
    would definitely want to do it before the first user release (whenever
    that happens to be), but there is no rush to do it sooner.