why 4.X instead of 5.X

From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:51:31 -0400 (EDT)

I'm asking the same question I just asked on the FreeBSD-current list,
this is a better place for it.  I really like the idea that FreeBSD has
gone to mutex exclusion, and away from spls.  It was a huge, and hugely
difficult task, and I don't really agree (yet) that we should throw that
part away.

Understand, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that I'm skeptical,
and I'd really appreciate it if you'd take the time and explain why all
that work has to be sacrificed.  I just feel that mutexes == good thing.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@xxxxxxxxxx   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.