Re: Announcing DragonFly BSD!

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:10:51 -0700 (PDT)

:It certainly looks interesting. I'm curious about the userspace impact
:of this.
:
:How much breakage is there to a regular FreeBSD system, if I just
:install the kernel from your project?
:
:	---Nathan

    Well, for the moment it should be compatible with a 4.x userland,
    minus things like ps, top, systat, etc.

    At some point we are going to break userland compatibility, because
    the real system calls will move to a message-passing scheme.  It will
    be temporary until the emulation layer can be written.  But that is down
    the line.  Eventually the goal is to provide an emulation layer which
    runs in userland but which is kernel-managed for 4.x and 5.x compatibility,
    and linux and other compatibility routines as well.  Having all that
    emulation code built into the kernel is a real eyesore.