DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2007-03
DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2007-03

Re: The FreeBSD: Developers' Handbook, Architecture Handbook, The Porter's Handbook

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:01:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, March 24, 2007 4:44 am, Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:
> Because I have no earlier experience from BSD and I am interested in
> developing DF, I am looking for source code level documentation (a lot
> of code examples).
>
> As FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and DF are somehow related together, I found
> that FreeBSD has nice books The FreeBSD Developers' The FreeBSD
> Handbook, Architecture Handbook and The Porter's Handbook. Could I use
> these books as a base, as jumping in to space of code of DF? What should
> I take into consideration that is different to DF?

You can use them as a base, though there's been a lot of kernel changes.
The development has been too recent and too rapid to document in a big
way, but there are other resources:

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/cvsweb/ - source code
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/ - change details can be found here
#dragonflybsd on efnet - a number of developers can be found here
kernel@dragonflybsd.org mailing list - always a good place to ask questions
http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.cgi/ProjectsPage - partial project
list, if you need a specific goal