DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2007-01
DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2007-01

using a wiki for documentation (and introducing short-term beginning BSD admin book project)

From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:13:55 -0600 (CST)

Over a year and half ago, I asked the DragonFly documentation workers to
choose to just keep their handbook in progress in CVS. This was because
there were two versions -- one in a wiki and one in DocBook in CVS -- that
were growing independently (but were same originally). We didn't have
tools (or time) to keep in sync and we didn't have tools (or time) to
convert the wiki content into nice printable format.

Since then parts of the wiki disappeared and were lost and weren't
committed back to the CVS. There has been random improvements to the CVS
version. There have been patches submitted but I think never committed.

In hindsight, probably just doing the work in a wiki probably would have
been best (other than the fact that original wiki, I think, was turned
off). Because a wiki makes it easier and quicker for a larger community to
contribute back. At least that is what I am hoping ...

A collaborative, short-term open source authoring project to quickly write
a book covering the basics from the 2005 BSDA Certification Requirements
Document was recently started. The BSD Certification Group's BSDA (BSD
Associate) Certification is for BSD Unix system administrators with light
to moderate skills.

Using a wiki interface, authors, reviewers and readers all contribute to
complete the book by the end of February. This bsdwiki contains over a
hundred pages each with the topics defined by the BSD Certification Group.

A PDF in book format is periodically generated from this wiki content
(which is converted to LaTeX).

To contribute, please join at http://bsdwiki.reedmedia.net/

The book is mostly generic BSD for beginning administrators, but there are
a few topics that need some DragonFly-specific attention. If any of you
can help, it would be appreciated.

Note that this is a short-term project, so no long term commitment is
needed. And also any content in this new wiki is appropriately licensed
and easily re-used by DragonFly.