DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2005-06
my todo for Handbook and splitting up handbook for printing
I generated a dvi handbook, double-side, footnotes at bottom, at 7inx9in
It is 870 pages long.
It is too long to print as a single bound book. BSD Mall split their book
up into two printed volumes -- a user's guide and an admin guide and both
have the appendices.
Any thoughts on splitting up the handbook (at least for printed copies)?
Here is a short list of things to fix or check:
1) appendix C.3 is all FreeBSD
2) any other newsgroups for C.2.1 ?
3) appendix C says print is impractical
4) C.1.3 "All" should not be italics -- italics should be used in
5) appendix B bibliography 30 is broken for book/unix-introduction
and Installing applications chapter has footnote with
and footnote 5 in section 1.3.4 (www.dragonflybsd.org)
(probably others line this)
6) A.4.2 should have more release tags?
7) appendix A.3.7 should not have FreeBSD mirrors
8) footnotes should not be done for file://localhost/ ??
(see Linux binary compat chapter)
9) appendix D.1.1 should have more keys?
10) "WarningBe very careful" should have a space or colon and a space
(twice in Appendix A and probably other places too)
This is the docbook <warning> tag.
It looks like "Important: " is correct.
11) are the screenshots for pine in email chapter readable?
12) en/books/handbook/x11/chapter.sgml should document xorg also and
installation? see FreeBSD version which now has this
13) add pkgsrc chapter?
14) document pkgsrc everywhere it mentions ports too -- but this could
make it too big
15) en/books/handbook/bibliography/chapter.sgml needs to be cleaned up to
be more DragonFly specific
16) mention X.org or use generic X11 instead of just XFree86
17) make sure that the copyright, conditions, and disclaimer are included
in printed version
18) make makefile mk files more portable, such as no realpath(1); make
sure ECHO is defined
19) don't use scr2txt unless needed (by the way, I made pkgsrc package for
scr2png and I used pkgsrc packages to generate the handbook to tex and
Any thoughts on above (especially in regards to pkgsrc)?
Jeremy C. Reed
BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links