DragonFly BSD
DragonFly docs List (threaded) for 2004-11

Re: Wiki-fying docs

From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:16:21 +0900 (JST)

"Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
  in <1347.192.168.0.254.1101703802.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

justin> I've noticed that there's been a number of people who have wanted to
justin> contribute to docs, but the process of installing the doc-proj port and
justin> all its dependencies, plus talking SGML, plus building it, is forming a
justin> sort of barrier to entry.  I think I'm the only poor soul that's done it.
justin>
justin> I was thinking we could copy the existing docs into a Wiki, and see how
justin> contributions change from there.  Mashing wiki changes back into CVS may
justin> be less laborious than putting other people through the docproj wringer.
justin> Can anyone think of any objections?

 I am interested in translation and infrastructural work of dragonfly's
 documentation and have several patches for them personally, but
 I think switching the docs to a Wiki or the like is problematic
 for languages other than English and output formats other than HTML.
 So while it is not so easy to handle XML/SGML docs and its build
 infrastructure as you pointed out, it is worth sticking to such
 portable and standardized way.

 BTW, is there anything I can do to help you?  I can send the patches
 if it would not be too much trouble...