DragonFly bugs List (threaded) for 2004-08
Re: ACPI experience
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Matthew Dillon wrote:
It's possible that it reaches multi-user but doesn't get through
the program startup. postfix does do a lot of locking at startup.
It's definitely hanging before single & multi-user. In fact, it
hangs at the same point that it used to hang before you fixed the
timeout deadlock, right after detecting the disks & cdrom. It's at
a colo, so I don't have the luxury of trying out different
snapshots, but here's the basic chronology of the machine:
* 1.0-CURRENT kernel from Dec 4, worked great.
* 1.0-CURRENT kernel from Mar 12, also no problems.
* Upgraded to 1.0-RELEASE, had ACPI timeout deadlock, couldn't boot.
* Upgraded to 1.1-CURRENT Aug 4, no more problems, ran great.
* This week, same 1.1-CURRENT Aug 4 kernel would no longer boot,
needed to disable acpi.
It could very well be intermittent -- I only tried to boot 3 times
without success until I disabled acpi all together.
If you're curious, it's one of these:
(with ICH4 chipset) dmesg is the same machine posted to bugs@ with
No worries, for now it runs quite well without acpi and I'm happy
with it. If I can replace it or get a serial console to it, I'll
tackle it, but for now that's all the info there is.