DragonFly bugs List (threaded) for 2004-08
Internet problem after recent rewrite of mbuf
Hi Matt and others,
After recent kernel update(4 August from 20 July) I noticed
that some internet websites take really long time to load
(connection speed drops to around 50B/s(but is not active)
with all browsers that I tried, links, elinks, w3m, firefox).
This doesn't happen on all websites (there is a not so
noticeable slow down on google, but sites such as amazon.com
become totally unloadable. I was able to load 8.1KiB of
amazon.com in 9 minutes with elinks!). Connecting to my
ISP's mail and news servers doesn't seem to be affected.
With the help of Jeffrey Hsu, the source of the problem
seems to be a commit on 29 July to
sys/kern/uicp_mbuf.c and others (I'm not fully sure is it
that commit, or a commit on 31 July).
After backing out my src/sys to 29 July, and recompiling
the kernel the problem seems to disappear (amazon.com loads
in a few seconds with elinks).
I use an old serial modem (Pace Linnet 34 Plus) with a few
scripts from slackware (IIRC version 9) to connect to my ISP.